18 February 2013

Tuesday


"When the LORD has given you rest from your pain and turmoil and the hard service with which you were made to serve, you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon: ”How the oppressor has ceased, the insolent fury ceased!"
Isaiah 14:3-4 

Flexibility/Skills
10 mins active stretching

5 Rounds
3 mins of jumping rope - mix in double-unders, cross-overs, shuffle step, slaloms, and running in place...
1 min rest


then

Water confidence drills: 25m underwater weighted walks, practicing bobbing 12' depth, 50m underwater swims, treading water legs only while under load

I want to elaborate on something from yesterday. I think that the point, that training is not the end goal and is simply a means to an end often gets lost in translation. Why do you need to squat or deadlift a bazillion pounds? I mean how often, and seriously take a moment and ask yourself, do you ever encounter such weighted loads in life? I am in no way discrediting the ability to do either; however, what is brought into question is the amount of energy and focus required to ascertain such ability and strength - could this time and energy be better spent on something more applicable to your daily life. I would argue that the pursuit of proficiency in learning a martial art, establishing and building confidence and skill in the water, or excelling at a sport to which you are passionate about is a goal more worthy of that time. Always reassess yourself and ask the questions: What am I most focused on? How is this beneficial? Could I be doing something else that would better serve me and my time? Because time is very precious and a commodity taken for granted these days, so use it wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment